Friday, January 23, 2009

A response I made on Current.com

Post on Current.com that spawned this discussion: Being Gay is a Gift from God

Original Post:
aswift1 - "I love this. I am Christian, and I know that's not the cool thing to be on this web site, but I am proud of it. Whatever. I love that this man of God is not so intimidated by the thought that the ignorant Christians will judge and shun him for making this statement. More power to him! I want to go to this guy's church."

Response to Original Post:
Nephwrack - "aside from the dick jokes, the wordng of the modern bible was decided at the council of nycea, by a bunch of males. add to that the fact that we've just taken our first baby steps away from chauvanism in the last century, and you have humanity worshiping a male god figure. not to say that the devine is female either though, i dont think an omniscient, omnipotent being would limit itself to one sex or another, including t/g. more than likely the divine has no sex or sexual preference, no matter how much we limited meatbags would like to think of it in human terms. regardless, religion is false in any form, as it is an attempted connection to the divine through a man colored filter. before all the atheists jump on my bandwagon however, ti'm not denying the existence of a God/divine presence/force/spaghetti monster/etc, as it is just as impossible to prove the nonexistence of such a being as it is to prove it's existence."

My Response:
"@aswift1 - As an Atheist, I for one am happy to have you up here. I have begun to learn to be more patient with those of any religious faith even when we have very different views on life as a whole. I am not completely there yet, but I feel I am on my way. It is still tough to hold certain conversations without letting those damn emotions creep in to muck it all up. I do believe the key to success for any person is to get themselves to a place where they can discuss the tough stuff without ruining the opportunity to communicate and learn by letting emotions take over the conversation.

@Nephwrack - "it is just as impossible to prove the nonexistence of such a being as it is to prove it's existence." Incredibly well said my friend! It seems to me that many people are beginning to come to this particular conclusion of which you have explained very well with your whole response. It essentially brings us to a fork in the road. And at this place, you have turned one way while I have turned the other. For me, It just seems too fanciful to believe there is any kind of conscious creator of all things out there at all. But where you are is not so far from where I am, and so I can appreciate your decision while still being satisfied with mine. And that right there is where everyone needs to be able to get to. To accept all others while being satisfied with themselves. Of course, that is not to say we should then stop trying to progress from where we."

No comments: